Lionakis designs places that influence the fabric of our region. For over 100 years, Lionakis has continued to shape a better future for our clients, our employees, and our community. We create learning environments, healing spaces, and workplaces where people flourish—providing design that matters.
Lionakis’s original founder was California’s First State Architect, George Sellon in 1909. Lionakis has continued to thrive in the tradition of delivering quality projects for our community in the following disciplines:
Architecture, Engineering, Planning, Interiors, Graphics and Sustainability.
Lionakis has been working with clients, contractors, consultants, business leaders, and community leaders throughout the Sacramento region. Our firm has a history of long-term relationships at all levels and our portfolio of successful projects stands in testament to our consistency and ability to provide responsive, appropriate and innovative design solutions that shape our communities. Having been located in the Sacramento metropolitan region for over a century, we have a comprehensive understanding of the region and its potential.
Lionakis has been a presence in Sacramento, building such landmark buildings as the Sacramento Department of Motor Vehicles Headquarters, the State Office Building at Butterfield Way for the Franchise Tax Board and the award-winning Sacramento River Water Intake Structure.
The Great 1906 San Francisco earthquake caused California political officials to establish our first State Architect and name George C. Sellon to that position. In 1909, Sellon began his private practice in Sacramento, where some of his most notable work included the design of the first high-rise building at 926 J Street.
In the 1950’s James R. Liske and Whitson W. Cox join the firm creating the partnership of Cox & Liske Associates. Continuing to grow as an A/E firm and leading into the 1960’s, employees Klyne G. Beaumont, Howard Engberg, and George Lionakis were added as partners, creating Liske, Lionakis, Beaumont & Engberg. The firm continued to thrive for the next two decades by building long-lasting relationships with clients like AT&T and the State of California.
As the years passed and the firm grew larger it became the corporation of Lionakis Beaumont Design Group in the late 1980’s. Between 2005-2008 the firm expanded outside of Sacramento with the acquisition of offices in Modesto, San Francisco and Newport Beach, growing to over 200 employees.
Anticipating the 2009 centennial, the firm refreshed the company brand by shortening the company name to simply Lionakis and focusing on the founding principles of Relationships, Performance and Design. With a new name and fresh look, Lionakis is well positioned for the next 100 years.